09 JUL 2020
Anxiety is a common feeling of unease, worry or fear which can be mild, moderate or severe. Everyone has feelings of anxiety at some point in their lives and people find it difficult to control their worries. For example, you feel anxious when sitting in the examination hall, waiting for your result or watching an intense movie scene. It is perfectly normal to feel anxious at these times but when the feelings of anxiety become more consistent and affect your normal day functioning then it’s problematic.
Anxiety is also the main symptom of many severe mental health disorders like social anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, phobia and panic disorder.
Symptoms of anxiety disorder
The symptoms of depression can vary depending upon the individual differences, co-occurring disorders, socio-cultural background, and substance abuse. The symptoms of depression must last for at least two weeks for the diagnosis. Depression symptoms can be categorized under four subheadings
- Impaired speech and coordination.
- Avoiding eye contact.
- Spending time in isolation.
- Increased heart rate and muscle tension.
- Over breathing or difficulty in breathing.
- Dizziness and feeling sick.
- Palpitations and increased perspiration.
- Shaking and dry mouth.
- Thoughts of losing control or death.
- Thoughts of getting a heart attack or any other serious disease.
- Feelings that everybody is looking at you.
- Feelings of being judged.
- Feeling detached from surroundings.
Types of anxiety disorders
Anxiety is a part of several other mental health disorders such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder PTSD- In PTSD, anxiety follows a traumatic event.
- Phobia- It is the excessive fear and anxiety of a particular object, situation or place.
- Social anxiety- The most common type of anxiety disorder in children. It is the fear of being judged by the public in social events.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder OCD- In OCD, your recurrent irrational thoughts lead you to the compulsive and repetitive behaviors.
- Panic disorders- A person experience panic attacks at unexpected times.
- Separation anxiety disorder- A person feels anxious or worried about being away from home or loved ones.
- Hypochondriasis– An excessive anxiety about a person’s health also called illness anxiety disorder.
- Generalized anxiety disorder GAD- It is a long-term condition that makes you anxious about a variety of situations or issues.
An anxiety attack is the feeling of extreme worry or fear and it may worsen when the stressful event approaches. Anxiety attacks can vary greatly with symptoms and severity but common symptoms include:
- Dry mouth.
- Hot flashes.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Numbness or tingling.
There is a number of factors that can cause anxiety but researchers are not sure of the exact ones. The combination of factors includes genetic, environmental and brain chemistry that can cause anxiety.
After you have been diagnosed with anxiety, you need to explore treatment options with your doctor. Treatment for anxiety categorized into two options: psychotherapy or medication. Meeting with a therapist can help to cope with anxiety when it occurs. They will teach you different strategies and tools to deal with anxiety
Medications used to balance brain chemistry and to prevent episodes of anxiety. It is mostly used to ward off severe symptoms of anxiety disorder. For some people, only lifestyle changes are enough to cope with anxiety symptoms
Anxiety and Egypt
A spokesperson from Egypt’s health ministry said that 8.2 million are suffering from anxiety and mood disorders. In total, 3 percent of Egyptians have anxiety and mood disorders, which is an alarming situation for the country.
According to a nationwide survey, 25 percent of the country’s population is suffering from mental health problems. This countrywide survey showed that around 43.7 percent suffering from anxiety among those respondents. It was told to media that the governorate of Minya has the highest percentage of people suffering from anxiety disorders.
The government has plans to provide therapy programs to deal with an anxiety disorder. The need is to be more focused on expanding mental health services across the country.